PDA

View Full Version : The Best Browser

theplustwo
03-21-2002, 03:55 PM
I just installed Opera 6 on my XP box. Very speedy:D but there are a few options that I can't quite figure out, like making links underlined only when the mouse is pointing at them, and also, the new post/ reply buttons at the bottom of each thread here at AGN aren't aligned to the right side like they're supposed to be, they are in the center. Altogether, though, It's a good alternative to IE, although I don't know if it would be worth paying $30 for :tongue:

Masamune
03-21-2002, 04:01 PM
i like opera a lot! but the only problem is like what you said about the buttons and such, it's not very compatible with certain sites. netscape sucks balls, lots and lots of balls! they should call it netrape or uhhhh.... petrape!! :laughing:

4matsy
03-21-2002, 04:58 PM
Originally posted by Masamune
netscape sucks balls, lots and lots of balls! they should call it netrape or uhhhh.... petrape!! :laughing:

's probably why they usually call it Nutscrape. :D

I just got Opera a few weeks ago, and I'm lovin' it. :D True, it isn't compatible with all sites (is any browser, really?), but it has some really cool features IE doesn't (like disabling pop-ups...w00t! :D).

Lucky they let you download it for free, as good as it is...I'm seriously considering buying it when I save up the cash. :)

vegeta1215
03-21-2002, 08:48 PM
You guys already know my vote. We've had too many of these discussions already.

I am happy more of you are trying Opera. :D

Dark Templar
03-21-2002, 11:23 PM
I'm a IE fan.

theplustwo
03-22-2002, 12:02 AM
I started using opera just so the history wouldn't show up in IE when I was supposed to be homeschooling, but now I'm hooked. I like it better that IE.

If only I could set 'underline links' to 'hover'...

Warlock
03-22-2002, 12:19 AM
I don't particularly care for all of the bugs it has, but IE is the best. The others just suck too much. Netscape was the best until AOL bought them out, now they are trash. Prob. didn't help that IE came out and smashed them by being included w/ Windows for free (and yet they still get away with selling the thing which astounds me.. YOU CAN DOWNLOAD IT FOR FREE PEOPLE!!!! I mean, if you don't have an internet connection to get it, find someone who does!)

theplustwo
03-22-2002, 12:21 AM
whoops, I forgot too include MSN Explorer.:D It's about as bad as netscape 6...

Verbatim
03-22-2002, 12:50 AM
Originally posted by Warlock
I mean, if you don't have an internet connection to get it, find someone who does!

:odd: If you don't have an internet connection, what are you doing installing an internet browser on your computer anyways?

goKi
03-22-2002, 01:41 AM
im a fan of ie6, always have been, except for a short period of using netscape

slothman
03-22-2002, 02:12 AM
I use Netscape 4.7. I never liked IE and haven't tried Opera. Lots of people seem like it though. Does it come with an email viewer?

P.S. This is post 1111 for me. Now all I have to do is get 7 times as many posts to catch up with TSA.

inori
03-22-2002, 02:37 AM
Well, I'm still in my Opera trial period. I think it has good points and bad points... It has crashed on me once or twice. But that's nothing compared to IE, which for some reason has a predilection for freezing my computer. But only when I'm on AGN, and only when I'm on my home (Win98) computer ... and I notice that it only seems to freeze right when I scroll one of richeva's posts onscreen. :confuse2: It's bizarre... (BTW, this is the reason I'm trying Opera.)

I like the customizability of Opera, and the ability to disable popups. I don't like the fact that it seems to have page layout issues with a significant percentage of web sites, much more than IE. I'm still getting used to the multiple windows within one frame architecture, but I think I like that (doesn't clutter the taskbar as much).

BTW, anyone know what setting I need to turn on so that I can click on the smilies and the tag buttons in the edit screen?

Menokh
03-22-2002, 02:53 AM
I like Opera.
I just seem to have a minor cookie problem with the windows version, it will log me out of websites for no reason at all. :shrug:
And it's all I'll use in BeOS.

And the only reason it has page layout problems is because those web sites either use IE only tags or the HTML is mising a tag or two which IE would patch. Hell, since AOL is switching to the mozzilla rendering engine(which Opera uses), and 30% of web users in the US use AOL, these web sites that look bad in Opera will have no choice but to fix their code, or risk losing a significant portion of their audience.

Opera rules! (www.opera.com)

CH@O$
03-22-2002, 09:17 AM
you cant beat good ol internet explorer 6

richeva
03-22-2002, 09:18 AM
You cant beat AOL either, Oh wait, YOU CAN!!!!

Dirk the Daring
03-22-2002, 11:06 AM
I agree with warlock, I started out with Netscape, but quickly switched to IE after AOL bought Nutscrape.......

vegeta1215
03-22-2002, 10:55 PM
Originally posted by Warlock
I don't particularly care for all of the bugs it has, but IE is the best.

So, you're saying IE has fewer or no bugs at all? Ha, Don't make me laugh! IE has more bugs and security flaws than any other browser. Why do you think MS releases security fixes so often? And why do you think so many of the new virus' people write involve IE or Outlook?

Kratheous
03-23-2002, 02:07 AM
I always use IE... though Opera runs a close second in my opinion.

AlexMax
03-23-2002, 05:24 AM
Solution: You DONT pay for it.

*cough*getaserialnumber*cough*

Though I also suggest buying it. They need money to stay afloat and keep making Opera the worlds most kickassiest browser.