PDA

View Full Version : Beta 139 Progress

Dark Nation
03-17-2002, 09:35 AM
New/fixed so far:

1. Fixed the template bug related to the new default graphics set.
2. Enhanced the import combo function so you can now specify a starting page like with the import tile function.

Yeah, not much at the moment. On a positive note, I don't have to be secretive about ZC anymore. An agreement has been reached. I can work on it when she's not around (asleep, in the shower, etc.). Still can't chat with any other AGNers, though. Oh, well. Marriage is about compromise. At least I can still use PM's on the board (the subject never came up, and she had said I could e-mail people). :)

Also, about beta 138, another new thing I forgot to mention. There are 2 new quest rules (replacing 2 of the reserved ones on page 2). The first one, "Lens Hints", isn't implemented yet. When it is, secret flags, when viewed under the lens, will show that triggers them. For instance, if you view a burn flag with the lens, it will show a flickering candle on the combo. A fire boomerang flag will show a flickering fire boomerang. And so on. The second rule, "Link Dungeon Pos. Fix", doesn't work right yet. It's supposed to compensate for the change in position of Link when he is in a dungeon. In the original LoZ, in dungeons, Link was 2 pixels higher. PM duplicated this effect. This rule hopes to fix it.

That's all I can think of that's new at the moment.

Question: Would it be worth my time to add a "make combos" feature to the tile viewer window? Basically, you highlight some tiles, hit make combos, and it makes combos out of them. Saves a lot of time, I would think. I could also add this feature to the leech function so that when you leech tiles, combos for them are created so you could recreate a map easily. Also, to make things even easier, a "make map" function could be added to both. With that, not only would the combos be created, but they would be placed in the proper place on a map. Imagine, loading up the bitmap for an overworld of your favorite overhead game (Zelda 3, perhaps), hitting a few buttons, and having it converted into tils, combos, and maps for you. Now, the only problem left is you would still have to manually add walk flags after all this is done. But, the rest of the work is taken care of for you.

Thoughts?

Overlord
03-17-2002, 09:51 AM
That sounds fantastic! Would make quest making a whole lot easier.

I love the Lens Hints thing, that is exactly what the Lens should do :thumbsup: Funny, I always seem to be on when you do these little updates.

And glad to hear you got things sorted with the wife.

bigjoe
03-17-2002, 10:05 AM
OMG this is starting to sound more like version 3.0 (with the make map thing)

by the way did you fix that crash bug with the new zgp.dat?

JayeM
03-17-2002, 10:32 AM
Thoughts:

1. That will make the lens a lot more powerful and save a lot of frustration for players. I'm going to start making it available fairly early in quests.

2. I don't know if the "make combos" feature is worth your time, but it would save us a helluva lot of time!

3. ZQuest is getting so complex that the average newbie who likes to dive right in may flounder. I don't want the innovations to stop, but something needs to be done to make it more accessible to them...new tutorial?

4. When you push a "no-combo" block onto a block trigger, there's no secret SFX.

5. I'm sure the compromise will make things easier for you. I remember what marriage was like, but I was never very good at it and I'm so glad I live alone now.

Dark Nation
03-17-2002, 11:22 AM
Well, I've fixed the pushblock bug that JayeM mentioned and I started work on the lens hint feature. So far, the burn flag is working.

Cyclone
03-17-2002, 05:44 PM
I keep forgetting to ask.

Does that trigger from way back in unreleased beta 113 work yet? I noticed it on the enemy list yesterday; however, I didn't test it again since it froze my computer last time.

Cyclone
[email protected]