PDA

View Full Version : Tornado...

AtmaWeapon
03-17-2002, 01:23 AM
Yesterday, I spent all day with my g/f in Biloxi. Her father is a firefighter/EMT, and when we got within about 40 miles of my city, his radio started going off with calls.

A tornado hit her school. Two buildings are now structurally unsound, and have to be rebuilt. School is out for a week, and 1450 students will probably have to cram into two elementary schools that were recently decommissioned because they were falling apart, but now will probably be used again.

It didn't really affect me too badly until we drove by it tonight. The scene was terrible. Granted, I haven't seen much destruction in person in my life, but this was the most I've ever seen. Oak trees were lying everywhere; one building had no roof; one building had a tree in it; not a single window in any of the buildings was intact. It was really messed up, and she's really sad about it.

Thank God it happened during spring break. The radar didn't show that there was a tornado-looking cell until after it had already hit. If school had been in session, there would have been no warning, and many deaths. It's kind of shaken me up.

Dragon Omega
03-17-2002, 01:27 AM
Well, things turn out that way sometimes...:mischief:

Drunken Tiger
03-17-2002, 01:38 AM
I hope noone was hurt!!:(

AtmaWeapon
03-17-2002, 01:41 AM
Luckily no one was hurt. There were a couple of houses destroyed too, but the news kept saying there were no injuries. Some tornadoes hit Hinds and Stone counties as well, but I guess they didn't do much because they only mentioned them in passing on the news.

Master Ghaleon
03-17-2002, 01:43 AM
When I was in highschool, i wished that a tornado or something would destroy the school. Hated highschool. Its a good thing that you didnt get hurt.

AlexMax
03-17-2002, 01:45 AM
My prayers are with you.

Damn that must have really shook you up. I know it would me...