PDA

View Full Version : My trip to Best Buy!

Mak-X
03-16-2002, 09:34 PM
I went to Best Buy today and checked out all the video game stuff.

PC games are now coming in smaller boxes a little bigger than old NES boxes. Must be because its cheaper and takes up less shelf space so more games can be put up.

There's plenty of Harry Potter GBA games.

Best Buy still has 2 N64 displays in the Playstation game aisle. One has Pokemon Stadium 2, and the other Mario Party 3. Number of N64 games in stock: 0.

The Gamecube demo disc had Smash Bros., Pikmin, and NBA Courtside. The Smash Bros. demo only let you play a 2minute Time match and the system reset after the match was over. Pikmin had a demo level that let you play with all 3 Pikmin. I played the demos because I had nothing else to do.
There was also a movie of Starfox Adventures. That game is looking really good, and definitely has Ocarina of Time style gameplay. Only have to wait until summer...

There is nothing new for Gamecube worth buying. Most of it seems to be 3rd party games that just aren't appealing (3rd party crap). Oh and Dark Summit is $39.99. There are plenty of copies of Rogue Leader and Smash Bros, and 1 copy of Sonic Adventure 2:Battle. If your only thinking about getting a Gamecube now, and you don't really need one, wait until summer or fall when there are more games to play. There's pretty much nothing good coming out until SFA in the Summer.

I played Xbox for a few minutes. It was racing game (don't know the name but its probably Project Gotham or something). I couldn't control the car right probably because the control settings or the controller itself was messed up. That controller still seems too big and hard to press buttons on. The demo seemed to take a while to load compared to GCN games, but just a little longer than the Pikmin demo. I'm not downplaying Xbox since I didn't get a proper chance to play it nor should these statments be a representation of really playing Xbox.

I forgot to mention...I'm not too impressed with Best Buy anymore sence they remodeled last. The aisle are way too small and only have room for 1 and 1/2 people. Just trying to get to the video game section requires you walk straight through the end of the CD and beginning of the phone aisle or you have to walk all the way around the right or left pathways. They're trying to squish too much in the place.

And that was my adventure at Best Buy.

mikeron
03-16-2002, 11:02 PM
Originally posted by Mak-X
PC games are now coming in smaller boxes a little bigger than old NES boxes. Must be because its cheaper and takes up less shelf space so more games can be put up.I noticed that yesterday at EB, and I must say it's about time. Why'd it take them so long to realize that a CD doesn't require a box with approximately 200 cubic inches in it? I like to keep the boxes, and now that can be practically accomplished.

Mak-X
03-16-2002, 11:37 PM
Originally posted by mikeron
Why'd it take them so long to realize that a CD doesn't require a box with approximately 200 cubic inches in it?

Probably because the bigger the box, the bigger an advertisement it is for the game. I have a old box of Starcraft:Broodwar and a new box and the newer one is a bit smaller so they started some time ago. I guess they've just always been big as a standard. There's something distinctly recognizable about a PC game because of the size of its box (in that you know its a PC game)

mikeron
03-17-2002, 02:38 AM
I figured they just had some compulsory need to include all those registration forms and ads for other games, which they printed on 8'X10' paper.