PDA

View Full Version : Is anything real?

Starkist
03-15-2002, 07:06 PM
Or is it all abstractions that our mind perceives as reality? Take words. We speak them, we write them. Then we hear them, and we read them. Four different permutations of the same abstraction, yet is it the same to us all? When you define a word, you use other words. x=y because y=z and z=x. x=z because z=y and y=x. Eh? Where does it all begin? What is reality? Is it really what we see and touch and hear, or is that just a perception created by our minds, interpreting what is really out there? If that's true, then what is really out there?

I've never seen The Matrix, though I've been meaning to...

J.J. Maxx
03-15-2002, 07:13 PM
Kinda like when I see green do I just think it's green because thats what people pointed at when I was young? Perhaps it's not green at all. Perhaps it's blue. Maybe you see my red but to you it's blue but we would both call it blue even though we see it as two different colors.

blue=red =blue

red=blue =blue

Dechipher
03-15-2002, 07:14 PM
ah....JJ, you an DP brothers?? You seem to both say stuff that confuses the hell out of me. I'm just waiting for foxy to say something confusing , so I'll beright : You three are related

Starkist
03-15-2002, 07:21 PM
I believe it was Aristotle who came up with the idea of a group of people who lived their whole lives in a dark cave, and never went toward the light at the entrance. Therefore they never saw 'reality' instead they saw shadows and reflections. When one day one of the people left the cave, he must have been overwhelmed at seeing what the world was really like, how much sharper, how much more 'real' than he had imagined.

Speaking of imagination, is it possible to really imagine anything beyond what you already know? Can a person conceive of something that is really new? Can an artist paint something that nobody has ever seen before, right down to the base components of his painting? Can a sculpter shape something that we have never before seen? Something that doesn't fit in our geometry? Do such things exist?

Speaking of fitting within our geometry, if something is beyond our dimensions is it at all possible for us to be aware of it? What if the cube we see is actually four dimensional? We can't tell.

Speaking of things we don't understand, can we dream outside of our own knowledge and experience? Can we see four dimensions in our dreams? Can we see in our dreams things that don't exists in reality, or in fantasy even?

DarkPanther
03-15-2002, 07:33 PM
Originally posted by Dechipher
ah....JJ, you an DP brothers?? You seem to both say stuff that confuses the hell out of me. I'm just waiting for foxy to say something confusing , so I'll beright : You three are related

JJ and I have been best friends for many years. I think you know that foxy is his wife... maybe not though.... Well, now you do. :tongue:

Maybe I'll reply to the actual topic a little later tonight after work settles down here....

Dechipher
03-15-2002, 07:37 PM
yeah, i know, but maybe JJ needs to know they're related...jk lol. I gt everyone's relationships....'m just wondering if you two have rubbed off on her...

Foxy
03-15-2002, 08:40 PM
Originally posted by Dechipher
I gt everyone's relationships....'m just wondering if you two have rubbed off on her...
Rubbed off on me?!?! I've only spent almost every day of the past 2 or so years of my life with both of them (DP practically lives at our house :tongue:). I'd say they've rubbed off on me quite a bit, especially where the sense of humor comes in. Of course, that will happen when you spend a lot of time with a few particular people.

As far as the thread goes, I've often thought about this. Especially with the color thing, like JJ said. JJ happens to be a bit colorblind when it comes to two particular colors - Blue and Purple. He gets them mixed up all the time. Even the shades of those two colors that are farthest from each other in the color spectrum, he mixes up. It's kind of amusing sometimes. :tongue: It always made me wonder if each of us sees colors differently, but we're all tought that the particular color we see has a particular name, so we call the same things the same names, but they still look different to each one of us.

The same could go for flavors of foods and drinks. *shrugs* Something to think about. :)

DarkPanther
03-15-2002, 08:49 PM
Originally posted by foxygrl
It's kind of amusing sometimes. :tongue:
Haha! Like that time he was walkin' around Staples with that purple mouse pad that he thought was the coolest shade of blue??! *rotfl*

You know I love ya man. :thumbsup:

Paradox
03-15-2002, 09:05 PM
this is similar to my post in think tank (The Matrix enigma (http://boards.armageddongames.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=51668) )
and if you want to see The Matrix, its on TNT next friday at 8pm. the matrix is the best movie ever you'd better see it.