PDA

View Full Version : stupid peahats and rocks

Sirklawd
03-14-2002, 07:08 PM
whats the problem with the octorocks and peahats in the beta that i keep hearing about?

Raichu86
03-14-2002, 07:17 PM
Octoroks don't animate. Peheats have their tiles screwed up and appear as random things. Same goes for Digdogger kids.

This doesn't have anything to do with ZQuest. =/

Qale
03-14-2002, 07:32 PM
On a similar note, what is this continue bug I hear about occationally. In the quest I'm currently working on (it's in BETA testing) when you die in a level occationally if you press continue you appear on a screen later in the dungeon rather than the standard entrance.

But it's the same screen every time so I kind of used this to my advantage. Kind of like a "save point" inside long dungeons. I do not know what I did to cause the screen to be considered a continue screen though.

Qale

PS: There, now it has to do more specifically with ZQuest. :)

Sirklawd
03-14-2002, 07:45 PM
things werent working in zquest...i needed help......"zquest editor help" kinda fit the bill

thanks for the answers, ya i had heard about the continue problem too.... good idea too, you could also have it so they cant complete the dungeon UNLESS they die... thus restarting them in a new spot.

sirK

C-Dawg
03-14-2002, 08:08 PM
I consider myself the de facto expert on continue bugs, since every time I do anything I cause five of them. Here (AGAIN) is what I've learned.

Continue bugs have to do with warps you use, and what type of map you use. If you Continue on a map with level set to 0, then you will continue at the coordinates you specify in the Continue field of the Dmap. No big deal.

If the level is above 0, things get nasty. Specifically, Zquest totally ignores the Continue coordinates you specify and has Link continue from the last Enterance/Exit style warp you entered. If you only have one Dmap in your cave/dungeon, everything is fine. No big deal.

If you have multiple Dmaps in a single dungeon/cave, things get nasty. If you use Enterance/Exit warps, the character will continue from the last one he used. If you try to use other warps (instawarps, blur, openscreen)... well, dont use them. The thing is that ZeldaClassic remembers the EXACT SCREEN COORDINATES (not the relative coordinates) of your last enterance/exit warp. If you, say, insta-warp over to another Dmap on the same page (with DIFFERENT relative coordinates) Zquest doesnt care. It will restart you at the same original screen, only using the Relative Coordinates of the Dmap you died on. The result? Often, you end up off of the map entirely, and lots of doors dont work correctly.

But wait, it gets better. Say the second Dmap is on a different map entirely. Then what happens is ZQuest still remembers the absolute coordinates of your last Enterance/Exit, but now applies them to the MAP you died on. So you end up in completely wierd places.

The bottom line? If you want things to work correctly, ALWAYS USE ENTERANCE EXIT WARPS TO ENTER DMAPS WITH LEVEL ABOVE 1. Yes, you get to continue "halfway" in long dungeons, but that's preferable to the dread "Continue Bug". The other problem is that alot of special dungeon affects rely on using multiple dmaps- not being able to use warps like instawarp really screws them up. If you simply MUST use a non-enterance/exit warp between two Dmaps of level higher than 1, you can make it work in the following ways :

1) The two Dmaps should have the same Relative coordinates and be on the same map. The title may be wrong when you continue (wrong floor, for example) but at least Link will still be free to roam around the floor he's supposed to start on.

2) Figure out where Link is going to continue, and put some warps there that take him back to where he's supposed to continue. (Nick does this in his demo)

3) Make it extremely unlikely that the player will die/continue on the second Dmap until he goes through another enterance/exit warp.

I think that pretty much covers it. Mods, should I submit something like this to the tutorial so I dont have to go over it again every week or so?

-C

Cloral
03-14-2002, 09:13 PM
Or better yet, how about we fix this? All ZC should have to do is remember which dmap the last entrance/exit warp led to and return to that dmap when continuing. Doesn't seem like it would be hard at all to do.

C-Dawg
03-14-2002, 10:10 PM
I would love that more than I love taffy. And I'm a man who loves his taffy.

itschris
03-14-2002, 10:17 PM
Originally posted by C-Dawg
I would love that more than I love taffy. And I'm a man who loves his taffy.

I just heard that on Family Guy... ;)

Yeah, I hope the continue bug gets fixed. It would make things much easier.

plith
03-14-2002, 11:47 PM
Oh yeah... Family Guy was on tonight, wasn't it... damn, I could've watched that. Ah well.

Qale
03-16-2002, 11:34 AM
Thank you VERY much C-Dawg for explaining to me why what was happening in my upcoming Escape from Hyrule quest was working like that. Sure it's a bug, but considering mine is working like the "save point" bug, it's actually a benifit that I accidently ran into.

Always,
Qale

K-Teclis
03-18-2002, 06:56 AM
Argh! If I won't any continuing bugs I use always entrance/exit to avoid some...