PDA

View Full Version : Two questions regarding Final Fantasy V...

Mitsukara
03-14-2002, 02:19 AM
I've been playing FFV recently, and a few days ago I reached the point where the two worlds have ['spoiler'] reunited[/'spoiler']. Anyway, I went to a village that I had gone to near the beggining of the game (since, after all, it puts you back at Tycoon castle near where the game starts) and talked to a man who asked if I was now an expert, yadda yadda..

Anyway, in the begginers house, when you tell the person at the counter that you're not a begginer, she tells you about how your suppin and something called 'mimic' inherit the skills of mastered jobs. I assume that suppin is the name of the class you are when you don't have a job (since she said that suppin can equip anything). However, I have no idea what 'mimic' is. Is it something I missed?

Anyway, since then, I have reached the point immediatly after getting Lenna back and ['spoiler']Exdeath's sucking several towns into the void.[/'spoiler'] While there are a few things to indicate it, I'm not altogether sure that the next place I should go to is the Cleft of Dimension. For one thing, the enemies there are far stronger than anywhere else I've been so far. For another, I haven't seen any definite sign that it's where I'm supposed to go next.

Arcayn
03-14-2002, 09:59 AM
The mimic is a secret class. It's basically the same as the suppin (jobless), but you can select 3 abilities instead of the ordinary 2, also the mimic has the "mimic" command ability, which will repeat the action of a party member that went before it.

*spoiler*

You can get this class by going to the place where the Walse Tower (I think) sunk under water in the first world, and diving there. You'll have to make your way through the underwater tower, there is a time limit, on the bottom you'll have to fight Gogo. Do exactly as he does to win, and you get the class.

*end spoiler*

Did you get all the best weapons from the Concealed Castle? I recommend you do so before going to the Cleft of Dimensions. I don't know exactly where you could get the things to break the seals on them anymore, but there are quite a few subquests to get them all.

Overlord
03-14-2002, 10:45 AM
You require the tablets from the 4 shrines to break the seals. I'm playing the game right now too, just about ready to get the Mimic, except trying to make it through that dungeon is hell.. you can't see anything.. it sucks! Especially on an Emulator.

Mak-X
03-14-2002, 12:16 PM
Originally posted by overlord147
that dungeon is hell.. you can't see anything.. it sucks! Especially on an Emulator.

Maybe its the color or brightness settings on your emulator? I was talking to a friend one time and he was playing FF4 in the mist cave where you fight the mist dragon at the beginning of the game. He couldn't see anything because of his settings, while on the SNES, you could see fine, just there was mist covering the dungeon for effect.

Daarkseid
03-14-2002, 01:34 PM
Originally posted by Mak-X

Maybe its the color or brightness settings on your emulator? I was talking to a friend one time and he was playing FF4 in the mist cave where you fight the mist dragon at the beginning of the game. He couldn't see anything because of his settings, while on the SNES, you could see fine, just there was mist covering the dungeon for effect.

Yeah, if your emulator doesn't have transparency effects, Final Fantasy V's water is opaque. I had a bitch of a time trying to get through the ship wreck in the very beginning of the game because the surface of the water was the top most layer, and without any transparency effects, it covered everything up, including your main character(or part of him). This was back when I was using Snes9x though because it was faster than ZSNES which didn't have as good of compatibility as SNES9x(and neither one had transparency effects).

ZSNES requires a graphics driver VESA1.2 or VESA2 for transparency effects. If you're not using ZSNES, I suggest you do for transparency effects, unless your PC doesn't have a VESA compatible graphics card(which I actually had once).

Same deal with FF4, the mist in the mist cave is transparent when transparency effects are on, but opaque when they're not. However you can easily fix this without transparency effects by turning off one of the layers. This isn't as readily available in FFV.

vegeta1215
03-14-2002, 08:51 PM
If you can't see transparencies cause of the limitations of your video cards, just disable that layer if it gets in the way (check which keys do that. I think it's the number 1-4 or something, but I can't remember exactly)

I remember when playing FF4, I disabled the mist layer, and the cave of the mist at the beginning looked just like any other cave! (hey, I know it sounds like cheating, but I couldn't see anything with my crappy grfx card)

Cloral
03-14-2002, 09:26 PM
Jennifer, you already have the first tablet for the concealed castle. It was the thing you got at the end of the pyramid. The castle is the place they were talking about in the library. When you get there, they will tell you about the other places you have to go to get the other tablets. Although they don't tell you outright where you have to go - you have to do some thinking about the hints they give you. None of them are that hard though.

And in addition, you should be looking for areas you couldn't reach before the worlds merged. If you do, you'll find the best magics and such, along with a whole new town that sells lots of good stuff.

Overlord
03-14-2002, 11:50 PM
Hmm.. my emulator doesn't have transparency.. and if you disable the top layer, everything goes black.. you can only see when you're overlapped by a wall.. I had hell getting through the shipwreck, but this is worse.

vegeta1215
03-14-2002, 11:55 PM
Originally posted by overlord147
Hmm.. my emulator doesn't have transparency.. and if you disable the top layer, everything goes black.. you can only see when you're overlapped by a wall.. I had hell getting through the shipwreck, but this is worse.

What SNES emulator you using?

Go get ZSNES, it's the best. Plus it's ported to DOS, Windows, and Linux! And all the versions have the same features!

The Silent Assassin
03-15-2002, 12:43 AM
That is why you should get the PSX version with Anthology.

Cloral
03-15-2002, 02:56 AM
I have a question: why is it that you have infinite air in the submerged shipwreck, but limited air in Warse Tower? I know the real reason, but I'm wondering if anyone can explain this in a plausible sense regarding the game universe.

The Silent Assassin
03-15-2002, 04:34 AM
You ever see the Abyss? The water in the shipwreck area is "Liquid Oxygen", but at Warse Tower, it is plain old water.