PDA

View Full Version : Can you see the thunder? Can you hear the lightning?

Jemsee
03-13-2002, 11:56 PM
Seems like I saw someone get yelled at for discussing the weather a whyle back, but here goes;
Found the following in my inbox the other day and it made me smile.:)
I would like to share that smile with you.:newbie:

The Thunderstorm

One summer evening, during a violent thunderstorm, a mother was
tucking her small boy into bed. She was about to turn off the
light when he asked with a tremor in his voice, "Mommy, will you
sleep with me tonight?"

The mother smiled and gave him a reassuring hug. "I can't dear,"
she said. "I have to sleep in daddy's room."

A long silence was broken at last by his shaking little voice,
"The big sissy."

So would any of you want to confess to hiding under the bed during a storm?
Or maybe relate a story about an "Act of God" type of storm(ie: tornado, earthquake, close lightning strikes).

I have a few but I'll just tell this one.
Last spring I was working a town west of where I live, when the tornado warning went off. Looking up I only saw clear blue sky.
But as I turned around the Southern sky was black as night.
I quickly finished up and went into the store to be paid, and asked if the siren was a test.
Just as she ansured, she also turned on the raido. The guy came on almost screaming...
"I just ran in from outside and can confirm a tornado sighting. I saw it myself just South of here. This is a vary darangrous storm and you should take cover immediately!"

I couldn't get out of that store fast enough...not that I was scard...I wanted to see the storm! So as I go outside I join about a dozen others and walk to the nearest corner to see the storm, couldn't see much so some of us got in our cars and drove to the South side of town for a better look.
There was a good sized funnel cloud blowing dirt and trees around about 2 miles away. The cops blocked off the road so no one could get closer. A lot of power in one of those twisters.
But looking back the funny part was this guy on the radio saying "Take cover...take cover..." and all of us rubber necked on out to see.:) :odd: :goofy:

Paradox
03-14-2002, 12:01 AM
aw man i'd love to see a tornado in person. i watch those tornado shows whenever they're on. but for me when i was like 6 or 7 i always used to hide under my covers whenever there was a thunderstorm out cuz it used to scare the heck out of me.

Melonhead
03-14-2002, 12:27 AM
a month ago, a bunch of f-15s flew right over our house at low altitude
scared the @#$% out of us, but they were just looking for a madman threating to fly into a building in his private plane :scared:

CH@O$
03-14-2002, 09:15 AM
yeah, an act of god scared me- he banished me from heaven just cause i tried to steal it!!

but on a more serious note yes, when i was 1, there was a hurricane over our city (i sleept right through it) but the point is it could have scared me if i didnt sleep like lead

richeva
03-14-2002, 09:19 AM
I have always wanted to see a hurricane from orbit. The satalite pictures are cool.:mega:

theplustwo
03-14-2002, 04:54 PM
Once there was a tornado in the field behind my house, perhaps 1/2 mile away. The whole family (6) piled into the station wagon to escape. Or so we thought. My parents actually took us closer to the thing to look at it, it was so cool!! .. unless they were trying to get rid of us!!:eek:

Jemsee
03-17-2002, 11:54 AM
In 1985 I lived right on the shore of Va. Beach Va.
Hurricane Gloria hit in the spring.
We were in a two story house about 1 1/2 blocks from the beach. Surf water was so high it was filling the streets.
Fortunatly, (for us) the bulk of the hurricane went south into N. Carolina.

We were probley stupid for staying and not going inland, but stay we did. The house swayed to the point you could see the walls slant. Plaster cracked and fell, lights went out.
We put mattresses on the floor in the hallway and against the walls. Amazingly not one window broke in the house.

A large pier was mostly gone and a large section of a restaurant and hotel were damaged on the beach front.
We learned it had 105 mph winds and did over 900 mil$ in damage up and down the west coast.

Cool huh?:cool:

Dragon420
03-17-2002, 12:36 PM
Well i have seen 2 so far...
One was on my way home from WVA and i was in Ohio and the middle of this Middle Of Nowere like area and we saw 2 funnel clouds and 1 big ass tornado touching the ground.

Then this one summer we had a big ass storm and the sky was so black it was turning green probably the weiredest thing i ever seen.
Then i looked out my window and a tornado went by about 3 or 4 miles away from my house.
Later that day I found out that a tornado almost came down 2 houses away from mine and sucked up a tree and then droped it on this guys house...
He was gone so he didn't know about it till about 3 days later.
Then i had to help my friends dad my friend and my dad cut up the tree.

Jemsee
03-17-2002, 01:44 PM
From Dragon420:

Then this one summer we had a big ass storm and the sky was so black it was turning green probably the weiredest thing i ever seen.

I have seen a storm like that too, where the clouds were boiling and low to the ground. In parts the clouds looked green. Vary strange. I remember a lot of hail coming from that one.

Link 101
03-17-2002, 01:58 PM
I don't get scared, but my brother sure does. I like Thunder Storms actually.