PDA

View Full Version : MAME emulation

AlexMax
03-13-2002, 07:15 PM
I have noticed that there are many many MAME emulators out there, for both Windows and DOS.

Which port, in your opinion, is the best one? I use MAME32, but I find it a tad cumbersome to use...

jman2050
03-13-2002, 09:56 PM
I have just started with MAME, but found the official release to be sufficient for my purposes. Who cares what platform it is on, as long as I get to play Marvel vs Capcaom and Street Fighter Alpha 3 on my computer :D .

For the record, MAME is the best running emulator I have ever seen hands-down.

Dracula
03-14-2002, 12:23 AM
I personally like any one, just as long as its compatible to the 2 player Castlevania or Haunted Castle...

MottZilla
03-14-2002, 01:36 AM
I use the original Dos mame. And...

"For the record, MAME is the best running emulator I have ever seen hands-down."

Then you've seen nothing. Also, MAME is not a single emulator either. It is a compilation of tons of emulators. And its quite hefty and slow so you need a very good system to get optimal performance from it.

I don't ever use mame for Capcom System 1 or 2 games. Final Burn Alpha is much faster and smoother than MAME.

Glenn the Great
03-17-2002, 10:07 PM
I just got Kawaks the other day from http://kawaks.retrogames.com

It plays CPS1, CPS2, and NeoGeo. I've been using it to play Darkstalkers, Marvel vs. Capcom, and Vampire Savior 2. It works perfectly on my PC.

Hermit
03-18-2002, 03:24 AM
Mame would be last on my list of emulators to use... I only use it for the old old old old school games ala Tron, Moonwalker :laughing: , Star Wars, TMNT Arcade, things like that.

And yes take heed, Mame is slow as hell (especially the Windows port, get the DOS version whenever possible for a definately noticable speed increase) for playing most things of today (CPS-2s, Mortal Kombats, NBA Jams, etc) unless you just happen to have very high-end PC.

I also agree wholeheartedly with Mottzilla, if you want to play CPS-2, it's Final Burn all the way :)

Cheerio