PDA

View Full Version : Just a few notes on Csets and palletes

GuitarmanTim
03-13-2002, 08:05 AM
I'm posting this because I see alot of posts in which people mix these up and it can get very difficult to understand that way:
Csets are NOT the same thing as palletes!
A pallete in ZC/ZQ is a square of 16x16 colors (256 colors total). A Cset on the other hand is 1 horizontal row of 16 colors within the pallete. Each Combo can use 2 Csets: the standard one and a second one by using the Cset2 feature. The first Cset can only be Cset 0-5. With the Cset2 feature you can use almost any Cset on the pallete. Every Dmap has 1 pallete asigned to it, but level palletes (basicly every pallete besides the main pallete and the 2 extra sprite palletes) use only Csets 2 and 3 and 4 and 9. Csets 0,1, 5-8 and 10 and beyond are always the same on every Dmap. These Csets are set on the main pallete and cannot be changed per Dmap/level pallete. So keep in mind that you can basicly only use 3 Csets per lvl pallete and 1 more if work around it and you have the combospace.

So, to sum things up:
- If you are talking about which pallete a sprite uses, your wrong. Every sprite uses the same pallete, with a few exeptions on some bosses and other things. What you probably mean is what Cset a sprite uses, because they can differ from sprite to sprite.
- Only a few Csets are available for combos, so use your color space carefully and use multiple Dmaps (and so more Level palletes) per map/area.
- A few Csets can not be used/changed at all. If you look at the main pallete you will see it reaches from Csets 0 to 14, which is 15 Csets. ZC/ZQ use 16 Csets, so 1 Csets is taken by the game menus/borders etc. There also are a few Csets that you can change, but cannot asign sprites to use to. Why this is I don't now, but some of the higher Csets can not be used by sprites or combos, so you can basicly ignore those, they are for sertain special things in the game like screen flashes and triforce effects, best not to mess with that to much.

Hope this helps explain some stuff (mods, pin this if you want to, fine with me).

plith
03-13-2002, 04:02 PM
From my palette importing guide:
The very first thing to know it that ZQuest organizes its colors first into CSets of 16 colors each. These CSets are then organized into 16 color palettes. If you have any questions about something I've said in this section, remember the difference between them (I've noticed some confusion in help topics between a palette and a CSet). The CSets are organized into rows, with 16 of them on each palette.

If only some people would bother to read things like this, we wouldn't have this problem. But they find the forums first, and most people prefer not to care if that guide's even there.

Immortal Warrior
03-13-2002, 07:35 PM
Not to sound like a rent a mod, someone shoot me if i do, but why not freeze this topic? It's all usefull stuff and I'm sure people could use it.

plith
03-13-2002, 07:45 PM
Originally posted by GuitarmanTim
(mods, pin this if you want to, fine with me).

I think GT had that idea too.

Immortal Warrior
03-14-2002, 05:28 AM
Ehhhh.... shoot me please

GuitarmanTim
03-14-2002, 11:04 AM
*BANG*

my pleasure :)

*edit*
and plith, I know you already made a part about this but like you said, the forums get reached faster and not everyone visits AZC and the tileguide. Hope you don't mind me posting this here even though u already made a part about it :shy: :saint:

plith
03-14-2002, 05:53 PM
Doesn't much matter to me. I probably didn't stress it enough anyways.

Cronic
03-17-2002, 02:45 AM
This is helpful and seeing as how space is availible at the top consider this pinned. I can always use help with palletes vs C-sets :)

ShadowTiger
06-07-2002, 02:35 PM
Sounds good to me. God Bless you folks.

GuitarmanTim
06-18-2002, 02:03 PM
hahahahaha, I wouldn't go that far but thank you ;)

DarkSFK
06-18-2002, 02:12 PM
Thanks for the advice. Palettes are the hardest thing to wrok with in ZQ, since if you change one color, other stuff changes as well.

K-Teclis
06-30-2002, 09:03 AM
Yes! That was a prob for me as well!
But look! I changed many palletes and stuff in L1A!
I think I'm good in changing the colors!

Happyman
07-03-2002, 10:07 PM
Palettes are easy to explain. Simple to use.

But in advanced graphics, they are very tough to master.

To get the most out of a quest, it helps to make a palette so that tiles can look differently when the CSet changes.

That was confusing I know...

DarkSFK
07-09-2002, 10:13 PM
Not at all confusing!:confused: :confused: :confused:

Knightcrawler
08-07-2002, 09:19 PM
Okay, I've read this stuff and I get most of it, but please I would like help with something. How do you change which Cset an item or monster uses?

Jigglysaint
08-07-2002, 11:32 PM
You can't do that with monsters, unless you change the actual palette it uses, which would make other monsters look weird unless you recoloured them, kind of tricky. For items, go to sprites, then items and when you select the tile the item uses, press + or - on the number pad to change it.

Knightcrawler
08-08-2002, 05:56 AM
Thank you very much, Jigglysaint. Now I don't have to brutalize my imported images.:)

thecewlguy87
09-01-2002, 09:44 AM
I got a little question about csets within a palette.
can you overlap them so you don't have to find aall the colors yourself?

QUESTMAKER
02-13-2004, 08:24 PM
Didn't You Mix Those Up!
I Thought C-sets Were The Tiles In
Quest->Tiles

I Might Be Wrong. But I Did Think It Was The Other Way Around.

Oh, and thanx Jigglysaint, For The + and - thing. I Mean:
You can't do that with monsters, unless you change the actual palette it uses, which would make other monsters look weird unless you recoloured them, kind of tricky. For items, go to sprites, then items and when you select the tile the item uses, press + or - on the number pad to change it.

maverickahg
07-27-2004, 01:28 PM
how do i change csets for link so that i can completely make him look like someone else?

*b*
07-27-2004, 01:53 PM
edit CSet 6. that's his default pallete. also, sprite palletes 6-8 affect his ring colors (6 - Blue 7 - Red 8 - Gold)

hellebeest
08-27-2004, 04:17 PM
So what is the url for AZC again, tell me before you shoot me :D

The Rowan
05-14-2005, 02:08 PM
Is there any way to view what tiles will look like using high-numbered palletes in ZQuest? I know how to preview the first 16 level palletes, but I want to use one of the extra ones.

Rakki
05-14-2005, 11:58 PM
Yes, there is, actually. Go to "Data -> Palette" and enter any pallet number in there, from 00 to FF, to view it on that screen, right in Zquest.

Rakki
05-14-2005, 11:58 PM
Yes, there is, actually. Go to "Data -> Palette" and enter any pallet number in there, from 00 to FF, to view it on that screen, right in Zquest.

The Rowan
05-15-2005, 12:08 PM
Thanks, that'll help a lot.

The Rowan
05-15-2005, 12:08 PM
Thanks, that'll help a lot.

LavaBall
10-23-2005, 03:00 AM
Where can I get Pure pallete?
I dont know where to get that pallete

DeFray
10-24-2005, 09:21 AM
You can find the Pure tilesets as well as many others right here: Pure (http://purezc.com/index.php?page=tilesets&sort=updated)

LavaBall
10-24-2005, 11:31 AM
Thanks for the Link :)

Stantzfield
07-24-2006, 09:00 AM
I've edited Cset 6 (Link's pallete), but when I go into tiles or play the game, Link's pallete is still the original. How do I get Link to use the new pallete Cset 6?

rocksfan13
07-24-2006, 09:03 AM
Links colors are actually in extra sprite palette csets. I'm not sure which are which. The help file tells you though.

ShadowTiger
08-01-2006, 04:12 PM
I posted this over at ZCU, and I think it can really help people.

Combos & Graphics In ZC (http://zcu.sephiroth.ws/forums/index.php?showtopic=238)

Rakshiba
06-14-2007, 11:28 PM
I need some help. I'm using color pallete 7, The green one with the blue shade when set to C-set 2. For some reason my one headed gleeok is a dark red color (similar to a fire gleeok) and I've checked multiple times, it's just a normal gleeok. Does anyone have a clue how to fix this?

MoogleEmperor
10-05-2008, 05:14 PM
---
Nevermind.