PDA

View Full Version : Roy vs. Marth

Chronos
03-11-2002, 10:58 PM
Well?

In Super Smash Bros. Melee I finally unlocked them, and I want to know, who is your favorite? I, personally, can beat anyone with Marth, including Roy.

What's you opinion?

Master Ghaleon
03-11-2002, 11:11 PM
I think Marth is better then Roy

Brasel
03-11-2002, 11:31 PM
I haven't played the game yet...so who the hell are they?

millmill
03-12-2002, 12:35 AM
Originally posted by Sir Anthony
I haven't played the game yet...so who the hell are they?

They are two characters from a RPG called Fire Emblem, which was only released in Japan. Oh and to answer the question asked, I like Roy a little bit more than Marth.

Dart Zaidyer
03-12-2002, 02:39 PM
Roy is, by far, a better swordsman than Marth. (although his voice kind of gives me the creeps...)
His sword inflicts fire damage, and his shield breaker move charges up higher than Marth's. A full charge will instantly KO. Plus, his Blazer attack can hit more than Marth's Dolphin Slash, and it can optionally arc farther forward, too.

Kairyu
03-12-2002, 03:42 PM
Hate to get into this discussion, but I'll take Marth. His agility is just plain absurd. Roy can kill CPU players easier than any other character in the game in most situations, but Marth has the advantage against Humans. Notice that Roy's moves almost always have a delay before, after, or sometimes even in the middle of his attacks. And Marth's sword is better in the end, if you have enough skill-Marth does more damage with the tip, making Keep-away strategies more effective than normal (Espescially his Down-A and Smash Up-A) While Roy needs to be almost touching opponents to deal the most damage... Not a safe setup. And Roy's Blazer is NOT neccessarily better than Marth's Dolphin Slash.... Hit with the edge and the opponent is damaged once, but for more than Blazer. And what is this about Fire Damage? :eyebrow: Elemental affinity is simply a visual effect, it has no effect on damage to any targets... Marth would appearently be Water-based anyway if it did matter, which it doesn't. And although capable of doing about 50% damage as well as insane distance, Roy's Flare Blade takes too long to charge to full power, and, like a SMASH move, it loses a lot of power if it is released manually as opposed to on it's own at full power. Not many people will sit and wait for you to charge it up, and you could use Marth's Down-A to edge guard, if that's how you used Flare Blade. Less showy, but WAY more annoying. And I prefer the reliability of Marth's counter to the extra damage of Roy's. If someone is charging a smash, they CAN release it early or store more power up to a certain point, and Marth is the only one of the two who doesn't need to worry if his timing is a bit early.

Chronos
03-12-2002, 10:52 PM
YES!!!!

I tried Roy once...and failed miserably to my younger and less-experianced sister. Now on the other hand, Marth is quicker, and I am great at using his sword techniques.

Melonhead
03-13-2002, 12:14 AM
roy is the best
i can beat anyone with him, in any level, against any number of people