PDA

View Full Version : Is The Internet A Fad?

J.J. Maxx
03-11-2002, 12:17 AM
Do you think that the internet will lose it's popularity over time and eventually die out? Pretty much everything in history has been a fad except television but thats a monster in itself. But will the .com craze fizzle?

For some reason I'm guessing that pedophiles around the world will never grow tired of having the world at their fingertips.

Pryme8
03-11-2002, 12:19 AM
Well... as soon as battle mecks destory the world... or we all get ESP chips in our heads ( i love mine) I dont think its gona go away in our life time...

inori
03-11-2002, 12:28 AM
It depends ... will corporations succeed in their efforts to take money from people to access the internet?

Actually, even if they succeed, I doubt it'll fade, unless something better comes along. And I'm not going to lay odds either way, lest I look like the guy from the Patent Office who claimed that "everything that can be invented has been invented" (in 1899 or so).

Drunken Tiger
03-11-2002, 12:39 AM
of course not the internet will never go away!! and we will never get tired of having the world at our fingertiips!!it can only get better!!

E-FORCE
03-11-2002, 12:40 AM
If it ever declines, then it would end up being an underground thing like it began when only the government was using it without too many people from outside knowing about it.

goKi
03-11-2002, 12:56 AM
i think it may even become a more important part of our lives, probably even eventually replacing telephones to make for cheap international calls :)

Daarkseid
03-11-2002, 01:01 AM
the internet will never die, as its been in use by corporations for almost 20 years, and by Universities and the Government for nearly 40. Actual domestic use may subside, but the flow of information over the Internet saves money for many that don't necessarily profit from the Net.

theplustwo
03-11-2002, 02:46 AM
I don't believe that the internet will be leaving us any time soon, but I do think it will change quite a bit.

As broadband becomes more and more popular, (and fast) I predict that it will become more and more of an always-on streaming information service (like television) and entertainment (read 'Just for Fun,' by Linus Torvalds) that you will be able to tune into at any time. But will have less and less ad banners and such, as corporations realize that nobody ever clicks them. (have you ever clicked an ad banner? I havent) Which they are just now starting to.

I see online 'families' such as this one growing and becoming ever more popular, as the internet becomes ever more common and less 'nitch' (although thats already starting to happen alot)

Just think! We at AGN are riding the wave of the future!! w00t!

so when, in 2010, agn has a bajillion members, we'll all have 10,000,000 posts! :kawaii:

richeva
03-11-2002, 04:17 AM
The net will soon be over when the earth gets hit by a giant EMP wave.....

Shadowblazer
03-11-2002, 01:11 PM
The internet has become too much of a part of our everyday lives to be just a fad. It's an invaluable communication tool as well as a very versatile entertainment medium. If anything, it will probably grow to the point where it is used for just about everything... once streaming video gets to the point where the quality is as good as what you see on your TV today, it will probably replace cable and satellite as the preferred method of transmission for TV and the like. Ditto for voice communications... heh, perhaps in the future you'll dial a person's IP address instead of their phone number when you want to talk to them ;)

Arcayn
03-11-2002, 03:53 PM
Indeed... internet is here to stay, if it's only for the sheer amount of information that's available to anyone at the click of a button. And that's not even mentioning entertainment, communication and other applications. No, I think it'll only get bigger.

DarkPanther
03-11-2002, 04:52 PM
I don't think the internet is powerful enough to last the next 20 years. I don't think it's a fad, but I do believe it will be replaced. It's a nice steppingstone however...

Daarkseid
03-11-2002, 05:35 PM
Originally posted by DarkPanther
I don't think the internet is powerful enough to last the next 20 years. I don't think it's a fad, but I do believe it will be replaced. It's a nice steppingstone however...

So what do you imagine taking its place? Clearly it provides a valuable service to most walks of life, but if it were to dissappear, something would have to fill the void it will undoubtably leave.

Ekulf
03-11-2002, 05:37 PM
Originally posted by DarkPanther

i have to agree... the internet as we know it today will not be what we use in the future we may still call it the internet, we may call it the meganet or ultranet or flukenet but it will not be just "this"

DarkPanther
03-11-2002, 08:23 PM
Originally posted by Daarkseid

So what do you imagine taking its place? Clearly it provides a valuable service to most walks of life, but if it were to dissappear, something would have to fill the void it will undoubtably leave.
Yes, and I do not believe that any one, single thing could do that. I suspect that will also be the beginning of it's own demise, the fact that the internet is so broad. Too broad, in fact, for it's own good. Any shmoozer out there can put a page up and state false information, altered information, half-truth, and still have an official looking web-site. Darkpanther.com is owned by a kid in NY that has a little extra time every now and then and likes to see how things operate online. He doesn't have any real motive or even emphasis he wants the site to have, it's just there for his own personal amusement. In the grand scheme of information, data exchange, and research, it's just an impurity. There's no real source of valid application or even of validity in itself. No one knows. I see the internet ending up with garbage like my site and commercials in the end, which is what a lot of it is already. The "pure" information will be stripped off and stored in separate "database strongholds"...... :deletes a paragraph and a half: and that's all I'll say about it for now. The real point I'm trying to make is (and I'm trying not to get off on a rabbit trail) just that pure information should be held in one place, business should be done on another, and advertising and personal sites on yet another. By then, there will also be a new form of communication in place as well so the actual "internet" I think will still be accessible, but more like a novelty and left to die slowly with it's generation.