PDA

View Full Version : HELP! can't get zc or zq to run...

eatyourneighbors
03-08-2002, 04:19 PM
hello everyone. i've run zc and zquest before on other computers. i am familiar with the program. i just got this new computer up and running and on line again and downloaded ZC and ZQ (i tried both the new beta and 1.90). i installed them, and then when i try to actually open the file, my comptuer does all kinds of wacky things...sometimes it automatically restarts itself, sometimes it brings up this blank black screen that freezes my computer (i can't even control-alt-delete to get out of it, i have to restart my entire computer). i'm running windows 98...same thing i was running on my other computer...why is this happening? is it a video card issue or what exactly is the problem? please help!

Cloral
03-08-2002, 05:20 PM
If you get the blank screen again, try Ctrl-Alt-End or Alt-Tab and see if anything happens. It could very well be a video card issue - I had a similar problem when I got my new computer, and it turned out to be a bug in the video drivers.

BTW, this would be better suited for ZC Discussion.

ZAP!

eatyourneighbors
03-08-2002, 06:43 PM
sometimes it lets me control-alt-delete twice to restart, sometimes i have to manually restart. but it NEVER actually lets me open an AGN program. not the AGN setup, not zquest, not zc...nothing. just a black screen, with what looks like a single horizontal line about one pixel thick of random colors at the top. does anyone have ANY clue what i can do to get these things to run?

Deviance
03-08-2002, 07:31 PM
Did you do it through dos window I always do it but the beta 1.92 you have to command prompt there

eatyourneighbors
03-08-2002, 08:21 PM
yeah, it always opens a dos window (just like it always did when i used to run it on my other computer), but then instead of starting whatever program it should start, whether it be agn setup or zc or zq, the screen just turns black and the computer freezes up.

Deviance
03-08-2002, 08:25 PM
No you know dos prompt right start menu/programs/Ms dos prompt use that instead because my computer goes black too so I just go like this

cd zelda~1 (Where you placed your zelda game) and try it from there

eatyourneighbors
03-08-2002, 10:01 PM
i'm ignorant when it comes to DOS...perhaps you could help? i've got my zelda classic folder inside the C drive. so if i open the dos prompt, it says automatically C:Windows>

now how exactly do i get these other files to run?

i appreciate the help and apologize for my ignorance.

Cloral
03-09-2002, 12:09 AM
Try running the dos prompt in full screen: when you open the dos prompt, press Alt-Enter to make it run full screen. If it locks up at that moment, then it is definately a video card problem. At this point that would be my guess as it sounds almost exactly like the problem I was having. You don't by any chance have a permedia card of any sort do you?

And if it doesn't lock up upon going full screen, try running ZC from there. Although if it doesn't lock up upon going full screen chances are it will still lock up when you run ZC. But heck, it's worth a try, right?

eatyourneighbors
03-09-2002, 12:28 AM
hey cloral...thanks for the help in pinpointing the problem...my DOS can not run at full screen. i'm not sure what kind of video card i have in. you say you had a similair problem...how did you get around it? argh...joe is frustrated.

how did you end up fixing the problem exactly on your computer?

Deviance
03-09-2002, 12:22 PM
Thanks for helping cloral

GuitarmanTim
03-10-2002, 07:03 AM
Oh man, you really need to figure out what video card you have, once you know that, you can download new drivers and things will probably be fixed. Do this to find out what video card you got:
1) goto your desktop
2) right click on the icon that says "My Computer" in the upper left corner of the screen mostly
3) click Properties
4) Now in the second tab in the next screen there should be a list of all the things that are in/on/connected to your computer. There should be one thing in that list that says something like Screen Adapters, click on the little + sign infront of that. Now you should see what your video card is, write that down. If you want more info click on it, and then on the Properties button on the bottom.

Still with me? cool, now you know what you video card is. Try to find the URL of the website of the company that made your card and download the newest drivers from there.

hope that helped