PDA

View Full Version : Zelda Classic 1.92 Beta 132

Dark Nation
03-07-2002, 08:36 AM
New in this version:

1. Fixed the hookshot crashes sometimes when pulling Link bug.
2. Added new push blocks. In addition to the push up/down and the push 4-way blocks, there are now 19 others:
-push left/right
-push up
-push down
-push left
-push right
-push up/down (no secret trigger)
-push left/right (no secret trigger)
-push 4-way (no secret trigger)
-push up (no secret trigger)
-push down (no secret trigger)
-push left (no secret trigger)
-push right (no secret trigger)
-push up/down infinitely (no secret trigger)
-push left/right infinitely (no secret trigger)
-push 4-way infinitely (no secret trigger)
-push up infinitely (no secret trigger)
-push down infinitely (no secret trigger)
-push left infinitely (no secret trigger)
-push right infinitely (no secret trigger)

There is also a "no push blocks" flag that allows you to set up where blocks can and can't go without restricting Link's movements. Simply put, you can't push a block onto a "no push blocks" flag.

Finally, there is a "block trigger" flag. If you push a block of any kind onto it, the secret is activated and the block becomes immobile. Why you would need this for anything other than the infinite push blocks is beyond me. :shrug: Unless you want to use it with one of the 2 or 4-way no secret trigger blocks so that it only activates the secret if they push the block in the right direction.

All of these blocks have been tested, though not extensively. Feel free to run your own tests on them.

Be warned: If you save a quest file with that has exactly 256 combos, you won't be able to open it again. This doesn't affect zgp exports and I don't think it effects combo exports or unencrypted quest file exports. Anyone wanna check this? I'm trying to track down the cause.

Anyway, here are the files:

Zelda Classic 1.92 Beta 132 for DOS (http://www.armageddongames.com/darknation/beta/zc192b132/zc192b132d.exe)
+zelda.exe
+zquest.exe

Zelda Classic 1.92 Beta 132 for Windows (http://www.armageddongames.com/darknation/beta/zc192b132/zc192b132w.exe)
+zelda-w.exe
+zquest-w.exe

If you missed them the last time around, here are the support archives:

Zelda Classic 1.92 Beta 126+ Support Archive (http://www.armageddongames.com/darknation/beta/zc192b126/zc192b126s.exe)
+1st.qst
+2nd.qst
+3rd.qst
+new enemy tiles.pdf
+new.til
+newfirst-fixed.qst
+zelda.dat
+zgp.dat
+zquest.dat

Zelda Classic 1.92 Beta 126+ Windows Support Archive (http://www.armageddongames.com/darknation/beta/zc192b126/zc192b126ws.exe)
+alleg40.dll

Cyclone
03-07-2002, 10:31 AM
All right! Time to rock and roll! :D

Um...yeah. :shy: This will be a fun test, methinks. :)

Cyclone
[email protected]

Cronic
03-07-2002, 10:32 AM
:eek: that's a lot of blocks.. I like the idea you had about the secret triggered by no triggers that would make for some wicked puzzles... Also any word on the init data upate you had mentioned?

Overlord
03-07-2002, 10:55 AM
Wow! DN, you are a god among men :king:

I knew you might add the blocks, but I never expected 19 of em..

having just started dabbling in C++ myself, I recognize your skills even more than I did before.

KJAZZ
03-07-2002, 11:20 AM
Sweet Mother of Abraham Lincoln! Time to get testing!

And DC, I see Bluntman is back!

Cyclone
03-07-2002, 01:52 PM
Problem.

I just unzipped everything, including the 126 stuff, with 132. All of the default keys no longer worked; I found this out at the title screen, when I tried to "Press Start". When I modified it back to Enter (which it had said in the first place, while the new remodify didn't say Enter), it worked...but I got to the actual game and found the A and B buttons not working.

I copied over the actual program for this; that is, I copied the ZC folder as ZCBeta and unzipped the new files into there.

Is the problem with the support archive? Also, has this been addressed once, and I missed it?

Cyclone
[email protected]

Dark Nation
03-07-2002, 02:18 PM
Try deleting ag.cfg before you run this.

Cyclone
03-07-2002, 04:28 PM
Otay, that seemed to do it. I had to run the config program, mind, but it works.

I also noticed the missing animated waterfall on the original title screen. Is that going to be fixed, again?

I'll have to play with it more 2morrow, though; my time for the day is up (I have to be at work by 5:45 p.m. EST). Might do some quick stuff before leaving, and again before going to bed 2nite; otherwise, I'll rely on other reports for my contest start decision. :shrug:

The good news seems to be that there are no bugs...yet, according to posts here. I can live with that. :)

Cyclone
[email protected]

Dark Nation
03-07-2002, 04:39 PM
This weekend I'm going to look at the feasability of eliminating combo pages. This will make it so you don't have to have multiple copies of a combo just so you can use it with other combos.

Cyclone
03-07-2002, 04:42 PM
Alrighty, but a really huge bug first. I can't load any of 1st.qst, 2nd.qst, or 3rd.qst. The exact reason: because they are not custom quests.

On a related note, I can confirm that Alpha still works. :)

Cyclone
[email protected]

Dark Nation
03-07-2002, 04:46 PM
You mean manually select it an play it in ZC? You never could. You have to play through them. You start out on 1st.qst. If you beat it or you enter your name as 'Zelda', then you play the 2nd.qst. If you beat that or enter your name as Alpha (the winner of the 3rd Qeust contest), then you play the 3rd quest.

As for loading them in ZQuest, they are password protected so people can't cheat.

Cyclone
03-07-2002, 04:48 PM
No, DN. I type a screenname, and I'm told that 1st.qst is an invalid quest file. Zelda (2nd) and Alpha (3rd) produce the same result.

Meanwhile, I selected a random custom quest...and it worked. :odd:

{Edit} Did further testing. It brings up a notice saying invalid quest file, but when I go to play it, it gives me 1st.qst. I realized this when I tried Alpha (getting the prompt for 3rd.qst) and tried playing it, only to find Level 1 as expected in the first quest...not the old geezer sitting there in AD's quest. {/Edit}

Cyclone
[email protected]

Dark Nation
03-07-2002, 04:58 PM
Hrmmm... I may need to check that tomorrow morning...

Cyclone
03-07-2002, 05:21 PM
All right, I don't know what the Windows version does, but the DOS version at least gives me that. Can someone with Windows check about this? I repeat, there's an error message with each of the first three quests (including AD's, now 3rd.qst) about an invalid quest file (bringing up 1st.qst itself in all cases as a default when you try to start one of the other two), but custom quests work perfectly if you happen to select one.

Otherwise, I'll dapple with ZQuest later 2nite. Leaving in...oh, 5 minutes, maybe.

Cyclone
[email protected]

4matsy
03-07-2002, 05:25 PM
Yeah, same thing happens to me with the Windows version. I was gonna report this myself, until I saw your post. :D

I've also noticed that the file select screen, when you perform this bug, shows the same amount of hearts as the last custom quest you loaded...:odd:

KingArthur
03-08-2002, 12:43 AM
Er.... I'm not sure... but I think it may be because the quest files havnt been converted to the new format since you added the new push-blocks :D

You should probably make a program to convert quest files to the latest version so people can use other peoples custom quests.

And if I'm wrong... oh well... I'm sure DN will find the problem.

Cyclone
03-08-2002, 01:11 AM
KA, the quest files themselves work. It's just not recognizing the actual three quests (assuming AD's actually happened ;) ) as "custom quests". That's because, basically, they aren't custom quests; they have numbers 1, 2, and 3 in the quest number area of the header info. They are the only quests that SHOULD have that; the rest maintain a 0. But since the three don't have a 0, ZC doesn't want to recognize them.

Maybe this might help, DN. It treats them like custom quests, but still plays 1st.qst by default unless you select one yourself.

Cyclone
[email protected]

KingArthur
03-09-2002, 12:43 AM
Er... I'm not loading them as custom quests... and I do remember that my quest was unplayable with the last bata untill I opened it and saved it in ZQ...

I typed in ALPHA as my name and it said that 3rd.qst was invalid.

Orion
03-10-2002, 04:13 PM
Well, since you can still push these blocks over solid combos on layers 1 and 2, is it possible to create a screen flag that triggers when you push a infinite block over every single one? Kinda like Turtle Rock in LA.