PDA

View Full Version : Laptop heat

sand
03-06-2002, 12:09 PM
Can anyone tell me why my laptop gets so hot? I know they get hot at the battery area, but mine gets so hot I have to put something between it and my lap.

:banghead:

It is a Gateway 5300 and has 256 ram 700 or 750 mhz ?
I am going to contact Gateway, but I want to see what you say. Gateway is going to try and sell me something else.:mad:

DarkPanther
03-06-2002, 03:31 PM
My laptop gets really hot on the left hand side next to the touchpad if I'm running it hard and don't have the docking station attached. Most laptops do heat up pretty good. I used to have a mac powerbook that was a lot like yours. I couldn't have it on my lap after 45 mins. It was just too much. Depends on the structure and design of the ventilation I guess. The thinner laptops get, the harder it is to do that well, although mine's under 1" and doesn't get that bad.

btw, it has less to do with the battery and more to do with the CPU I believe...

Verman
03-06-2002, 04:46 PM
I just got a Compaq presario 710Ca and it doesnt get hot...

Shure it warms up but when the fan kicks on it cools right down ;)
unfortantly it then eats up the battery...

*sigh*

But then agian i did watch the complete "The One" DVD on it without the battery dying...

:)

oh its a 1 ghz duron

Ekulf
03-07-2002, 09:10 PM
its the cpu that gives off the heat... many now have a liquid cooling system with a small blower fan which i love on mine cause it blows out nice warm air.... if only it was bigger...... aaaaaaaaaaaaa :tongue:

Mogwai
03-07-2002, 09:16 PM
Warm air is the Last thing i need .... its bloody hot enough here without a computer Blowing warm air on me :lmao: .. i live in Australia ... i think you can guess what i mean.

Dechipher
03-07-2002, 09:18 PM
Your laptop is in heat....lol

Yeah, its the CPU, cause i usually use an adapter, and its still hot

fatcatfan
03-07-2002, 10:19 PM
the Dell laptop I had did the same thing... and the fan did't seem to help. The ports on the back were hot to the touch. Not enough to burn, but you'd flinch if you weren't expecting it. So, judging from these comments, I'd say "Yes, a hot laptop is normal". It can actually be nice on cold winter nights for sitting in bed playing ZC though.

Daarkseid
03-07-2002, 10:33 PM
I had this same experience with my Laptop. The heat it gave off had more to do with pressures on the CPU than anything. This was especially true when I would run ZSNES on the laptop, set so that it ran to optimal performance(ZSNES recommends a 200 Pentium II processor minimum, my laptop was a 133 mhz pentium I) and the thing got incredibly hot! I think its what wound up frying my modem card(which had to be replaced).

Laptop heat, I think, is normal, whats not normal is running it like I did to the point of frying components.

Paradox
03-07-2002, 10:40 PM
must... get.... new... fan....

goKi
03-08-2002, 06:06 AM
Originally posted by Mogwai
Warm air is the Last thing i need .... its bloody hot enough here without a computer Blowing warm air on me :lmao: .. i live in Australia ... i think you can guess what i mean.

2 computers running constantly in the smallest room of my house, even with 2 cooling fans its 20 degrees C hotter than the rest of the house, so heat is for sure the last thing i need.

and in answer to the question, i dont use laptops for reasons like that.

DarkPanther
03-08-2002, 03:19 PM
Originally posted by goKi
i dont use laptops for reasons like that.
Bah, laptops own. I've been keeping my laptop at work b/c it's faster than my current office desktop, and it has XP. :D Although, I do have a new IBM desktop on it's way to my desk in the next month. Woo! But anyways... if anything I'd think prices would deter you from laptops more than a lil' bit of heat shootin' outta the side. W/e floats ya boat mate. :tongue:

Ekulf
03-08-2002, 04:07 PM
A desktop puts off the same amount of heat if not more (depending on yer setup) its just that you don't notice it as much because it is better ventilated, so a desktop would make a room hotter then a labtop