PDA

View Full Version : Finally started learning C++, and

Chris Miller
03-01-2002, 03:03 PM
It's driving me nuts!
How do programmers keep from going insane from this shit?
I've never worked with anything so fickle in my life....
But, I made a commitment, and I'm going to stick to it...to the bitter end. lol

satanman
03-01-2002, 03:07 PM
They don't.
Have you ever met a sane programmer, I mean, I only got through the Cplusplus.com tutorial, and look at me
DONT LOOK AT ME!:mad: :mad:
look at me :(
DONT LOOK AT ME!:mad: :mad:
and so-on

BTW, someone should move this to programming

Arcayn
03-01-2002, 03:33 PM
You should really get a book if you want to learn C++. Online tutorials don't really cut it, because they never seem to explain enough, and you'll lose it quickly.

Good titles are:
Sam's teach yourself C++ in 21 days
C++ for dummies (really)

Chris Miller
03-01-2002, 03:38 PM
I got the C++ For Dummies book last night. It's still frustrating, though...
Oh, yeah, I got one of those Sam's Books, too. It's on HTML 4.

inori
03-01-2002, 03:46 PM
You have to be more stubborn than the compiler. :D

But anyway, if you have any questions, feel free to drop by the Programming forum. There are a number of people there (including me) who have programmed in C++ for quite a long time, and will be happy to help in any way we can.

Good luck!

vegeta1215
03-01-2002, 04:10 PM
It's not too hard, but it depends what your trying to code for.

Since your just starting, you don't wanna try to do games or anything. You should start doing simple command line (MS-DOS, or Linux command line) programs that do I/O functions and store and manipulate data.

Ruler26
03-03-2002, 06:09 PM
Ohhh, C++. I'm in Computer Science AP at my school, which focuses completely on C++, and during all of first semester, I was consistently blank and confused. Now, more than half way through the year, I'm FINALLY starting to understand C++.

I think that I was at a disadvantage, though. Most everyone else had to taken the unofficial pre-requisite course (it's unofficial because it isn't officially required, but...). At the beginning of the year, I remember thinking "What the hell does 'void' mean when it's infront of a function?!" :)

AtmaWeapon
03-03-2002, 06:16 PM
C++ for dummies sucks. I recommend Sam's Teach yourself C++ in 21 days, it was way better. I still can't do too much in C++, but it's because I couldn't get any ideas for projects and I didn't have the time to search through libraries for all the functions I needed.

And programmers do not keep from going insane. It would seem that being insane is almost a prerequisite for being a programmer.

inori
03-03-2002, 07:14 PM
Originally posted by AtmaWeapon
C++ for dummies sucks. I recommend Sam's Teach yourself C++ in 21 days, it was way better. I still can't do too much in C++, but it's because I couldn't get any ideas for projects and I didn't have the time to search through libraries for all the functions I needed.

And programmers do not keep from going insane. It would seem that being insane is almost a prerequisite for being a programmer.

Yup, insanity is one of the prerequisites. Also included are: an addition to caffeine, nocturnal sleeping habits, and enjoyment of math (this last one is serious; programmng is much harder if you're not good at math).

JayeM
03-03-2002, 09:06 PM
I got C++ for Dummies a couple of years ago, and it didn't take me long to realize I didn't have what it took to be a dummy. :(

slothman
03-03-2002, 10:00 PM
I used Sam's "teach yourself in 21 days" so much the binding broke. I'm still using it for reference.

richeva
03-04-2002, 04:08 AM
My programmeing skills stretch to RPG maker, and im trying to learn Zquest. Thats it

Overlord
03-04-2002, 11:58 AM
I've been planning on learning for ages.. it's something I'm determined to do. I'll grab C++ for Dummies, and the other one if I see it anywhere.. I just keep putting it off :shrug:

The only pre-requisite I lack is math... I'm "ok" at math.. but I am addicted to caffeine and am nocturnal, so I got those down ;)

theplustwo
03-10-2002, 05:57 PM
I recommend 'The Waite Group's C Primer Plus, Third Edition', the examples are humorous, well documented, and easy to follow

Mak-X
03-10-2002, 11:04 PM
I've got the Sams "Teach your self in 20 days" for Visual C++ and Direct X (24hours) on disk in PDF format that I got from the Game Programming 4.0 package. I have to alt+tab between VC++ and the pdf. I need to finish it someday since I never got past day 2 or 3 before quiting.

I need to get back into programming as I'll be taking courses in college for my major in computer science. I'm going to try to be a game programmer or designer for a living. I just don't have much time now with school so I usually spend it playing video games.

Bigmog (http://www.bigmog.com) Radio and lots of it helps me when I'm programming.