PDA

View Full Version : Importing Pallettes.

e3h3
02-27-2002, 02:46 PM
I'm trying to make a new tileset from scratch. I am having problems with the pallette. When I take a ZNES screenshot it comes out as 24 bit. What's the best way to convert this to ZQ compatible without losing the color?

Does anyone know of a good freeware program that can convert images to 16 bit, without distorting the colors?

Immortal Warrior
02-27-2002, 02:59 PM
Well.... I use MGI Photosuite, it has a "Reduce colors>16 colors" option which alows you to find the optimum pallete. Thing is, that's not downloaded or freeware, so you'll have to find another image editing program :shrug:

I-Man
02-27-2002, 08:37 PM
Couldnt you just open it in ms paint and save it as a 256 color bitmap?

plith
02-27-2002, 08:40 PM
That wouldn't work. Unless the colors were assorted into proper rows (1 in a million chance of that) when reduced, the pictures won't turn out right.

Immortal Warrior
02-28-2002, 05:15 AM
Yes, unless you can reduce it to 16 colors, or sort the pallete out, you'll have to remake the pallete in ZQuest. Using paint to reduce it to 16 colors will use a universal pallete, and replace the colors with the closest to them.
You'll need a better program, I don't know what you can get out there for free, but try www.tucows.com

I-Man
02-28-2002, 04:36 PM
Oh yeah, I forgot when you open something you saved in 256 colors from ms paint turned into a bunch or jumbled colors in zquest. Sorry for false information, the best I can say is check out what Immortal Warrior has linked in his post.

Deviance
03-01-2002, 08:43 PM
I would use Microsoft Photo Editor because when you decrease the colors there is a few options to do it and still looks nice

GuitarmanTim
03-07-2002, 10:26 AM
hold on a minute, if you just wanna rip from ZSNES shots all you need to do is change the video mode to an 8bit one. I recommend 640x480x8 VESA2, this one always gives you pictures with the right (rom) pallete and they are fully rippable in ZQ.

If you really wanna go the hard way and use a paint program to reduce colors, use XaraX, but I really suggest you don't go that way, since every shot will have a divirent pallete