PDA

View Full Version : The Elements of a Good Quest

bigjoe
08-15-2000, 12:16 PM
The first element that a good quest should have is uniqueness..it should stand out in its own way, not be like the rest of the crowd.

The second element, is challenge, which has to be manipulated right...a quest should be challenging but not impossible...

The third element is a surprise, something that makes the player want to play longer, as well as makes the game funner..

Graphics,a deep story, and a known goal also help, but those arent as necessary(in my opinion) as the first three i mentioned...

Try to be flexible with your quest, do something they wouldnt expect(theres a certain armos in my quest that you wont find a stairway under unless you burn it, take that for example.)

Anyhow, dont just throw out a generic quest(not that generic.qst was bad, in fact i think generic quest was improperly titled)

Take these tips into mind and you will have a quest worthy of my attention..

Bah
08-15-2000, 01:54 PM
Originally posted by bigjoe:
Take these tips into mind and you will have a quest worthy of my attention..

A quest worthy of your attention? Gee, somebody doesn't have a big head here. Anyhoo, I agree with most of what you say there, except for the idea that a quest should have things hidden the way you suggest. (I hate having to burn everything to see if there's something hidden under it.) imho, creativity and surprise is key to an interesting expierience, whatever it may be. Humor can also be used. You should see what the guy who gives you the sword in my quest says. =P

------------------
Whut?

bigjoe
08-15-2000, 02:18 PM
ok, what is imho? oh yah the reason why i said i quest worthy of my attantion is im tired of getting all the halfway finished, buggy, and just boring.ive stopped downloading them, i only get the ones that are recommended to me or something. but before we finish this conversation...what is imho?

bigjoe
08-15-2000, 02:28 PM
i know lmao=(laughin my ass off)
rofl=(rolling on floor laughing)
roflmao=(well gee...)
and Afk(away from keyboard)
oh also brb(be right back)
lol(laugh out loud)

but imho?

bigjoe
08-15-2000, 02:29 PM
lol see those four stars over there?

<--------------

that means i get to have a big head http://forums.armageddongames.com/html/tongue.gif

War Lord
08-15-2000, 03:45 PM
/me notices those 4 stars aren't permanent neccessarily

IMHO means..In My Humble Opinion.

Just a thought.

------------------
Linux is like living in a teepee. No Windows, no Gates, Apache in house.

MetaStaiford
08-15-2000, 03:57 PM
ok, heres what i think a good quest should have.

1. either uniqueness or be a classic remix like a 3rd quest.

2. it should have progressive difficulty so the quest doesnt just taper off at the end.

3. the element of suprise!

4. a storyline better than its graphics so it isnt just 'get triforce, save zelda

5. use originality (and DONT steal my bombable sand or armos that appears out of nowhere.

6. dont steal ideas.

------------------
it isnt true that the stupid meatball head killed me with my own boomerangs and someday i will return to kill her and those pesky sailor saps! (malachite from SM)

you may not be true criminals, but your still scum! if you think ive been bad news before... (batman, possibly the LAMEST crime fighter out there)

bigjoe
08-15-2000, 06:01 PM
also replay value is a good thing http://forums.armageddongames.com/html/smile.gif thats one of the reasons i liked fantasy quest(not only that you were forced to replay it )

mottzilla
08-15-2000, 06:08 PM
I think a quest should have a good overall idea. Some suprises. Costum graphics are nice. Challenging is fun. But most importantly I think a quest that flows is best. Never anything where you can just get plain stuck. Anyway that's what I like not nessisarily what everything should be.

------------------
Mottzilla not GodZilla, and I made this name before ever seeing a godzilla movie.

vegeta1215
08-24-2000, 05:31 PM
I agree quests should have:

-unique qualities, you can make a quest more than just get the triforce pieces and save zelda.

-the overworld should be more explorable, like the original, and not intensly limited until you beat the next dungeon/get new weapons.

-progressivly challenging, new ideas, but i don't like the idea of new ways of getting secrets like burning armos knights, that's troublesome.

Alot has already been said, but overall a quest should pull you in, be fun, and make you want to keep playing till the end...bottom line.

GeepaMoogle
08-24-2000, 08:12 PM
A good quest should bne started by identifying its purpose. One quest might be pure action and not rely at all on puzzles and mystic clues. Another might have a little action but lots of puzzlers. I myself prefer a mix. It may be a cool idea to compile a list of some of the better ideas into a "zoo" quest (one in which you can explore how certain concepts function, but with no real goal). Originality is perhaps the biggest key to a good quest, not that you aren't using some ideas from other people necessarily, but that it isn't identical to what's been done. Apply old traps and puzzles in new situations, creat new ways of combining elements, or storyline concepts. And difficulty is also key. This is also connected to the type and purpose of the quest. Is it for newbies to Zelda? Or do you want it to be an ultimate challenge? That's my random rant for the day.

------------------
Procrastinor's Signature-to be filled in later...

bigjoe
09-17-2002, 01:00 AM
I invented triple posting. Ah , the memories. I was so big headed and full of it back then =B

Anyhow , (on the topic) I would like to remind quest makers of what a quest consists of. These days , people think its all graphics and no gameplay. Sure , a few more people will pay attention to your quest, if graphics are the main focus. However, if they are an avid player and not just a zombie who likes to say "ooo , look at the purdy colers", they might find it to be repetitive and boring later on. With this in mind , I urge you all to pay attention to gameplay. A person who can use the original enemies to the best of their power accomplishes a lot more than someone who copies screen after screen of graphics and layers them over enemies just to make a (albeit glitchy) custom boss. Not to dis people or anything.

But gameplay is KEY. Linearity DESTROYS games. Make a place to explore, a cave to fall into, that little heart container peice that is very hard to find,and anything that comes to your mind. Dont just throw a whole bunch of colors on the screen and expect to create a masterpeice simply based on that. Don't pioneer the engine, leave that to DN :D Pioneer the Gameplay

Peacefully and respectfully,

Daniel...

KJAZZ
09-17-2002, 01:06 AM
Excellently put, :D

ZeldaLord
09-17-2002, 01:50 AM
Shame you had to revive a 2-year old topic for it, though. :sweat:

Fade to Black
09-17-2002, 02:36 AM
Its his topic, he can do what he wants...;)

Good deal BJ...hehe...BJ...

I'll keep that in mind this time around. Maybe I should...hmm...

Cyclone
09-17-2002, 08:12 AM
Couldn't you just post a new topic?

Cyclone

vegeta1215
09-17-2002, 11:39 AM
Wow, that's an old post of mine up there, from only 12 days after I registered! Crazy man.

Anyway, my ideas for a good quest remain the same. I'd also like to add:

-No crazy monster setups in rooms: make rooms that can be defeated by the average or above average player
-Surprises, dead-ends, and puzzles. These really add to the dungeons and make you look back and say "Damn that was cool, I would have never though of doing that"

These ideas of course are all from the old ZC, and the limits you had imposed on you with the "original" engine. The new ZQuest allows so much more, but most of the things I say still apply.