User Tag List

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 43

Thread: 6th Quest Invitational

  1. #11
    Developer ZC Developer
    Gleeok's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    4,687
    Mentioned
    241 Post(s)
    Tagged
    10 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Points
    12,385
    Level
    32
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    63.62%
    Daily Activity
    0%
    Weekly Activity
    24.82%
    Monthly Activity
    9.03%
    Quote Originally Posted by ZoriaRPG View Post
    Eh? Were you not involved in the conversation regarding the need for an open assets pack, and I was effectively stuck with the job to put it all together?

    At present, we have permission to use Koten, and to modify it; and a potential new gfx pack from another contributor (WIP), some music, loose sprites for Koten (to replace the Link tiles and some npcs), and an audio pack that I have been gathering from open sound libraries. Once this is all in a presentable format, we will need to utterly replace 1st-5th.qst in the open source domain, so that our .dat files do not contain infringing materials: Essentially, wholly new default internal quests.
    My point exactly. How many other past conversations are you not aware of?

    It's difficult, but if you guys have done the work (I'm assuming there are script packs as well? ie; Enemies/bosses all set up and ready to go; no scripting required) already that's definitely a good starting point. I'm sure a lot of people would be happy about that. Thanks!

    I'm against changing the existing 1st-5th quests, however.
    This post contains the official Gleeok™ seal of approval. Look for these and other posts in an area near you.

  2. #12
    ZC Contirbutor ZC Developer ZoriaRPG's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Prydon Academy
    Posts
    1,030
    Mentioned
    95 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Points
    3,586
    Level
    19
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    17.72%
    Daily Activity
    51.02%
    Weekly Activity
    46.72%
    Monthly Activity
    14.14%
    Quote Originally Posted by Gleeok View Post
    My point exactly. How many other past conversations are you not aware of?

    It's difficult, but if you guys have done the work (I'm assuming there are script packs as well? ie; Enemies/bosses all set up and ready to go; no scripting required) already that's definitely a good starting point. I'm sure a lot of people would be happy about that. Thanks!

    I'm against changing the existing 1st-5th quests, however.
    http://www.armageddongames.net/showt...-Do-Details%29

    At the very least, the open source package should have clean .dat files that do not have any infringing content. I don't see why we can't have either a dat pack loaded for 1st-5th, or a single quest file with all five quests in it and a global script to handle selecting the quest mode (1-5). This seems relatively easy.

    I'll note that this is different to my model for quest template packages, including scripted quest templates. I do stil plan to have a few of those (Z3, LA/GB, BS, and RPG).


    Featured Scripts & Headers: RPG.zh ( v. a0.97.1 ) ( RPG.zh Thread ) | Zelda 3 Thief's Town Treasure Chest Minigame (ffc) | Bobomb (enemy)
    ZScript & ZC-Related Pastebin | Quests and ZScript Repository | ZC Dev & Betas | Latest ZC 2.54 Beta | YouTube Channel
    All of the code that I create and publish here is free for use, modification and distribution under the GPL v2.0, or v3.0 where applicable..

  3. #13
    Keese
    Join Date
    May 2015
    Posts
    67
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Points
    317
    Level
    6
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    51.92%
    Daily Activity
    0%
    Weekly Activity
    2.92%
    Monthly Activity
    3.92%
    I'd love an official 6th quest. Why leave it at 5?

  4. #14
    Wizrobe Nightmare's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2000
    Age
    38
    Posts
    2,461
    Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Points
    3,398
    Level
    18
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    73.13%
    Daily Activity
    0%
    Weekly Activity
    2.92%
    Monthly Activity
    3.92%
    Quote Originally Posted by ZoriaRPG View Post
    I'm not sure that an 'official 6th quest' is a very good idea. What we need, are a set of new default quests that use open assets, not another baggage quest to support in a Zelda.pack.dat collection of sequentially numbered quests, and bizarre how-to-get-there rules and passphrases that might need to change based on the .dat pack...
    I've been busy, but IDK how truly "official" this will be, but considering we got smacked by Mario Maker at the end of the 5th contest, a few of us wanted another shot. I'm still waiting on some people, but we've got 2 more people interested (I'll be verifying demos soon) and while not huge, it's a good source of even development practice.

    Still waiting on Imzo and HoF, but other than that, we're starting to take some shape. Looks like there's going to be a bit more diversity this time too in styles.

    Once Gleeok gives me his demo and the others submit their demos to be approved/denied entry to the contest, I'll officially update this thread with some videos and statuses from the Discord Channel for people not in it

    I'm very close to having a "drop dead" date for new entries so we can start setting some deadlines and getting busy.

    -James

    Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/nightmarejames YouTube: http://www.youtube.com/nightmarejames

    Game Projects
    Zelda Classic:
    Completed: Zelda NES Remastered, Demo 1st Quest, Demo 2nd Quest, James Quest: Remastered (V 2.1), Memorial Quest, New Quest 2 2015. New Quest: Rebuilt
    In development: Demo SP, James Quest: Remastered (V 3.0)t, 6QI

  5. #15
    Keese
    Join Date
    May 2015
    Posts
    67
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Points
    317
    Level
    6
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    51.92%
    Daily Activity
    0%
    Weekly Activity
    2.92%
    Monthly Activity
    3.92%
    The only real way we could get a lot of people to join is if this were an official contest with the chance of your entries getting added into official ZC. Whether or not that happens is if the devs want it to happen. Seeing how flexible the rules are this time, this could mean a lot more people willing to join, and a much more unique "6th" quest, so I'd support this becoming an official contest.

    (Plus it would make us look less dead.)

  6. #16
    ZC Contirbutor ZC Developer ZoriaRPG's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Prydon Academy
    Posts
    1,030
    Mentioned
    95 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Points
    3,586
    Level
    19
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    17.72%
    Daily Activity
    51.02%
    Weekly Activity
    46.72%
    Monthly Activity
    14.14%
    Quote Originally Posted by Dimentio View Post
    The only real way we could get a lot of people to join is if this were an official contest with the chance of your entries getting added into official ZC. Whether or not that happens is if the devs want it to happen. Seeing how flexible the rules are this time, this could mean a lot more people willing to join, and a much more unique "6th" quest, so I'd support this becoming an official contest.

    (Plus it would make us look less dead.)
    I ultimately want to make quest numbering useful, and allow passing quest data and script data from one quest number, to the next in series.

    Game->LoadQuest() is still on my wish list.

    How are serialised quests not more interesting, in the long term?


    Featured Scripts & Headers: RPG.zh ( v. a0.97.1 ) ( RPG.zh Thread ) | Zelda 3 Thief's Town Treasure Chest Minigame (ffc) | Bobomb (enemy)
    ZScript & ZC-Related Pastebin | Quests and ZScript Repository | ZC Dev & Betas | Latest ZC 2.54 Beta | YouTube Channel
    All of the code that I create and publish here is free for use, modification and distribution under the GPL v2.0, or v3.0 where applicable..

  7. #17
    Administrator DarkDragon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2001
    Posts
    6,228
    Mentioned
    68 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Points
    10,793
    Level
    30
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    80.23%
    Daily Activity
    0%
    Weekly Activity
    2.92%
    Monthly Activity
    3.92%
    At the very least, the open source package should have clean .dat files that do not have any infringing content. I don't see why we can't have either a dat pack loaded for 1st-5th, or a single quest file with all five quests in it and a global script to handle selecting the quest mode (1-5). This seems relatively easy.
    I completely agree that including a set of free (as in speech) assets and a free example quest with the source code would be very useful. It would probably also be a good idea, long term, to split the Zelda-specific assets into a "content pack" that is hosted separately from the code (and to do this before War Lord is issued a cease and desist demanding a takedown of all ZC-related content).

    That is orthogonal to a 6th quest contest, though. There is no harm to allowing quest authors not interested in helping with a free asset pack to work on a 6th quest.

    I'm ambivalent about merging 1-5 into a single .qst. There is some merit to scriptable quest transitions and removing the official quest progression from being hard-coded in the source, but that's way down on the list of priorities.

  8. #18
    Wizrobe Nightmare's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2000
    Age
    38
    Posts
    2,461
    Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Points
    3,398
    Level
    18
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    73.13%
    Daily Activity
    0%
    Weekly Activity
    2.92%
    Monthly Activity
    3.92%
    Quote Originally Posted by DarkDragon View Post
    I completely agree that including a set of free (as in speech) assets and a free example quest with the source code would be very useful. It would probably also be a good idea, long term, to split the Zelda-specific assets into a "content pack" that is hosted separately from the code (and to do this before War Lord is issued a cease and desist demanding a takedown of all ZC-related content).

    That is orthogonal to a 6th quest contest, though. There is no harm to allowing quest authors not interested in helping with a free asset pack to work on a 6th quest.

    I'm ambivalent about merging 1-5 into a single .qst. There is some merit to scriptable quest transitions and removing the official quest progression from being hard-coded in the source, but that's way down on the list of priorities.
    Talk to HeroOfFire about it. A Randomizer based on them would be very interesting.

    -James

    Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/nightmarejames YouTube: http://www.youtube.com/nightmarejames

    Game Projects
    Zelda Classic:
    Completed: Zelda NES Remastered, Demo 1st Quest, Demo 2nd Quest, James Quest: Remastered (V 2.1), Memorial Quest, New Quest 2 2015. New Quest: Rebuilt
    In development: Demo SP, James Quest: Remastered (V 3.0)t, 6QI

  9. #19
    Wizrobe Nightmare's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2000
    Age
    38
    Posts
    2,461
    Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Points
    3,398
    Level
    18
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    73.13%
    Daily Activity
    0%
    Weekly Activity
    2.92%
    Monthly Activity
    3.92%
    Entry Deadline next Friday (essentially your first level demo)

    That means looking at you @Gleeok and anyone else I invited.

    -James

    Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/nightmarejames YouTube: http://www.youtube.com/nightmarejames

    Game Projects
    Zelda Classic:
    Completed: Zelda NES Remastered, Demo 1st Quest, Demo 2nd Quest, James Quest: Remastered (V 2.1), Memorial Quest, New Quest 2 2015. New Quest: Rebuilt
    In development: Demo SP, James Quest: Remastered (V 3.0)t, 6QI

  10. #20
    Developer ZC Developer
    Gleeok's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    4,687
    Mentioned
    241 Post(s)
    Tagged
    10 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Points
    12,385
    Level
    32
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    63.62%
    Daily Activity
    0%
    Weekly Activity
    24.82%
    Monthly Activity
    9.03%
    Quote Originally Posted by Nightmare View Post
    Entry Deadline next Friday (essentially your first level demo)

    That means looking at you @Gleeok and anyone else I invited.

    -James
    Why so soon?! I'll have to withdraw if you want a complete demo. Otherwise, you've already played LV1! -It's mostly unchanged from last time.
    This post contains the official Gleeok™ seal of approval. Look for these and other posts in an area near you.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
About us
Armageddon Games is a game development group founded in 1997. We are extremely passionate about our work and our inspirations are mostly drawn from games of the 8-bit and 16-bit era.
Social