There's really not been a whole lot of activity here recently (partly my fault being busy with real life and all), so I thought I'd just post any and all updates in this thread for the time being just to let you all know how it's coming along.
Anyway I started working on this again last week (after a long hiatus for 6 months), so there's that.
First big thing:
The entire scripting engine was removes and replaced with an embedded .NET runtime with a new scripting engine that integrates with mono. This means that pretty much any c# code will work with the game, including the entire core lib etc. Script code will be jit compiled (or possibly aot-compiled) which will mean that scripts will run at speeds comparable to c++, especially since the engine does a lot of the heavy lifting and is implemented as internal calls, not Marshalling, for core functions. So yes, all the high-level game logic will be written in c# which means they can be modified or rewritten to make any type of jrpg.
I've also added a fairly large math library and the usual set of graphics and and exposed engine classes to the c# framework, and of course started writing scripts as more methods become available to access.
This one was bugging me, so I'm in the process of updating all the textures and generating all the maps, tilesets, and tiles. It's about 90% there. There's still some weird layer information that I can't quite get right. Example: