Thanks especially to ShadowTiger, whose FAQ I based a large chunk of this thread off of. If you have anything you think should be added to this thread, by all means, post it right here!
Before posting a thread in this forum:
If you're going to ask a question, help us help you and state the version of Zelda Classic you're using. Examples:
- 2.50 RC4
- 1.92 B184
Include any other information that you think is relevant. DMap type, level number, the exact situation that's occurring, what you want to happen, etc. Include screenshots of the problem if you can -- you can upload them to places like Imgur or Photobucket.
I'm new to ZQuest and would like a few tutorials to read over. Where should I start?
Here are a few.
- AlphaDawg's Official ZQuest Tutorial -- Written in 2001 and mostly applying to version 1.90, it still will mostly do a good job of introducing you to basic ZQuest concepts. Remember that a few details may be out-of-date if you're using 2.5, though! Extract the .zip file and open index.html.
- idontknow's ZQuest tutorial -- Preserved on PureZC thanks to theplustwo. Contains a little more information on advanced features of ZQuest and a lot of tips and tricks.
- Zelda Classic tutorials -- Contains a few basic tutorials on a few new 2.5 features.
- PureZC Tutorials forum -- Contains a bunch of tutorials that cover subjects beyond basic functionality of the program. In particular, these are worth looking over at least once:
- ZCWiki -- A good reference for everything the other tutorials won't cover. Needs a lot of updating and work, though.
- [A Guide] - Advanced Tile Page, and Editing Functions. -- By Anthus. This guide contains everything you'd ever need to know about ZQuest's tile editor, including a full list of keyboard shortcuts.
I'm looking for cool tilesets, tiles, and music to use in my quest! Where do I go?
Here. You might also want to check our Developers Exchange forum.
- PureZC Tileset Database
- PureZC Loose Tiles Database
- PureZC Music Database -- Contains custom-written music from PureZC members
- PureZC Developer's Exchange
- Spriters-Resource -- Has a lot of tile rips from games. Be sure to check if the ripper requests credit, and credit them if they ask for it!
- VGMusic -- Go here for video game-related MIDIs!
- Mirsoft -- Contains a lot of tracker files. (MODs, ITs, S3Ms, etc.)
- Zophar's Domain Music Page -- Contains a lot of commonly used game rip formats. Zelda Classic 2.50 currently supports SPC, GBS, and NSF files.
- SNESMusic -- Also contains a lot of SNES music in SPC format which Zelda Classic 2.50 supports. Rename any .rsn files to .rar files, and use 7-Zip to open them.
I'm using 2.10 and I can't get my string to show up in a dungeon! Help!
Make sure your Level number for that dungeon's DMap is set to a number greater than 0. Use numbers 10 or greater for any dungeon that isn't a main Triforce dungeon.
I'm using 2.5 and my guys are showing up on the overworld, but they should show up in caves!
Go edit the DMap that contains the overworld your guys are on. Go to the "Flags" tab. Check the "Use Caves Instead of Item Cellars" and "Special Rooms and Guys Are In Caves Only" DMap flags.
HELP!!! I still don't know how to load a custom quest???
Read this thread.
A note on passwords:
If you are making a custom quest, particularly in versions before 2.50 (but also in the latest versions), do not use a password for the quest that you use for other things! It is very easy for third parties to obtain quest passwords from 2.10 and before. Although no exploits to retrieve passwords from 2.50 are currently known, it's still better to be on the safe side and use a unique password.